Wednesday, February 20, 2008

300 Club


"Appearance is a consequence of fitness" - Mark Twight

Did the 300 workout that everyone has been spoutin' about since the movie came out for the first time today. The story goes that it was an invitation-only rite-of-passage workout for the actors & stuntmen at the end of the training camp for the movie. The guy that designed the program for the movie, Mark Twight, is realer than the real deal holyfield. His workouts are based on the concept of sprint methodology: high-intensity full body movements done in succession for complete metabolic and neurological fatigue. Sound ultimate related to you? For a further explanation check out the man himself:

http://www.gymjones.com/

The 300 workout:
(done in exact order, can't move on to next exercise until all reps are completed)

25 x pullups
50 x Deadlifts w/135lbs
50 x pushups
50 x box jumps on largest plyo box
50 x floor wipers
50 x 1 arm clean-n-press w/36lb kettlebell (I substituted a 35lb dumbbell as I had no kettelbell available)
25 x pullups

This workout was a useful measuring stick for my off-season program, and for my off-season program only. I couldn't care less about fitness "tests" like these, as my one & only concern is how my training translates over to W's on the field. But it was nice to check in and see where my training program stacks up to other fitness professional's on a quantitative level.

I'm writing this 2 hours after the workout and I'm still dizzy. When I first took a look at the workout the deadlifts stood out immediately. 50 is quite a daunting number, but I broke it up into 5 sets of 10 and it went by much easier than I anticipated. Thank god they were second. I really started to feel fatigue on the second half of the box jumps, which I broke into the same rep/set count. The 1-arm clean-n-press were a blur, mostly just tried to keep my feet underneath me, my food down, and the room from spinning.

Even if I did care, since I didn't use a kettlebell which incorporates a bit more core stability, grip strength, and would be 1lb heavier, my time wouldn't be considered "official". But I will say that I broke the 20-minute mark, putting me up there with 'dem dudes from the movie. What does that mean? absolutely jack shit. But it was still fun to get a ferociously difficult workout done in under 20 minutes.

This week:
Monday- rest
Tuesday- winter league game
Wednesday- 300
Thursday- row machine & elliptical intervals
Friday- weights
Saturday- flag football game in the morning, beach ultimate in the afternoon
Sunday- golf in the morning, heavybag workout & hill runs in the afternoon

#40

No comments: