Some cool links:
- This guy is the mothaf'ing man. IOC tells him he can't compete, and he responds by breaking his personal best. That's what I'm talking about.
- From the perform better seminar
- barefoot running
- What it's like to workout with Alwyn Cosgrove. Great article. And you thought my workouts were tough.
- The A-11 offense that's got every football coach on it's ear right now. Smart stuff, lots of options. Again proves how much innovation is possible within a set system of rules.
- sprint training for endurance competitions
- Lessons from Mike Boyle
- Dingos in the news
Wednesday night we had the excellent opportunity to scrimmage the Aussie National Team. We managed to get the sweet, sweet synthetic fields at Occidental College in LA, and it was a great night for SoCal Ultimate. Playing under the lights always get me fired up and we had a great crowd come out to see the action. I still can't get over how fast the fieldturf surface is...too much fun. The Dingos are tall, athletic, disciplined, and seemed to be all clicked in with each other as they've been practicing & playing together for a while now. We started off slow, had trouble adjusting to their physical underneath man D and had some defensive miscues, spotting them a 9-4 lead at half. Definitely not how we wanted to start things out. But we maintained our poise like true Condors, we knew we still had a lot of game left and just focused on making some key adjustments. We finally busted the deep game wide open in the beginning of the 2nd half, and also started playing some sick Team D, tightened our marks, and forced some turns. Went a nice 11-5 run where our offense was really clicking & moving with flow, and some of our rookies stepped up huge and made big plays on D to bring it to 15's. We traded to 17's (game to 19) and had the ball to take the lead for the first time but turned it on a huck. They marched it back up patiently for the score, then closed it out on the next point after a lay-out drop to take the W. The game was extremely well-spirited, clean, and one of the most fun experiences I've had playing disc. We took over a sweet LA bar afterwards with the crowd and showed 'em a good time droppin' carbombs like rain. Funny post-game story: A group of the aussies stopped at the Taco Truck outside the bar for some food and they ordered one of the guys (the captain I think) a tongue taco which he devoured without knowing. They still hadn't told him by the end of the night, hope he's finally figured out that that wasn't carne asada...
Movement Prep- Same story, see previous posts if you need details.
30 1-arm front-squat vertical tosses (each arm)
20 side-twists throw against wall w/catch (each side)
Plyos Skills & Drills
1. Sitting box jumps
2. Split-squat jumps
3. Box lateral shuffle with weight overhead (locked arms)
1. Split-squats w/weight- as fast as possible for 30 seconds with proper form. rest 1 minute, repeat alternating leg. Twice through
2. Hang Snatches- 3 sets
3. RDL's- 3 sets
Moved from swiss-ball pikes, side plank, leg lifts w/med ball between leg, and standard plank. 3 times through, each exercise to failure. Resting only when necessary.